Starting secondary school is a big step for every child, and for those with special education needs or disabilities it can be an even greater challenge. It can be a daunting prospect for you and your child, so our aim is to make the transition as smooth as possible, ensuring you know who to contact if you have any questions or queries. This is the same for students who may transition mid-year.
For students joining in September
- Initial parent meeting. During the session you will have the opportunity to meet with key people, tour our facilities and ask any questions you may have. For those who are unable to attend individual meetings will be available to you.
- Liaison will start with your child’s current Primary school. Initial visits will be made and meetings with SENCOs or designated staff will be held to gather as much information as possible to enable a seamless transition so that we can support every individual student.
- Parent packs are distributed including information about the school and specific forms to be completed prior to admission.
Spring / Summer term
- Teachers or senior leaders from Charlton Park will attend, where possible, Year 6 Annual Reviews.
- Charlton Park Academy may commission support from Educational Psychology to support the transition placement.
- Students transition events: a minimum of 4 visits are scheduled over the summer term. Students attend with familiar key staff from their primary school. Additional sessions will be offered if it is felt that a child needs further support. This will be made in agreement with both schools and families.
- Additional visits will be made into the Primary school to complete handover of information between teachers and key staff.
- Multi Agency Meeting: Professionals meeting for identified students to ensure smooth handover of information between professionals.
- Parents /carers invited to school workshops and coffee mornings to meet current parents.
- Transition books shared with students sharing key information, class and teacher name and photos of the school.
- Summer BBQ – yearly social event held during the Summer holidays for parents / carers and children.
For students transitioning mid-year
- Initial meeting with parents / child either in at Charlton Park Academy, home or current school.
- Individualised transition programme will be timetabled depending on need of child and family circumstances.
- Parent packs will be shared and completed.
- Meeting /discussion with current school and key staff.
- Transition books made and shared with child and family.
- Multi- agency meeting or review depending on need of child.